- Passport for all family members.
- Visa (to reside in India for at least one year).
- Inventory, valued in English (indicating date purchased) and itemized (brand, model and serial number of all major appliances must be noted and in English).
- Indian Customs Declaration Form (to be signed in presence of Customs Officer).
- Diplomatic shipments require Duty Exemption Certificates from the government of India.
- Shipper must be present in India at the Time of Customs Clearance in order to Sign a Declaration of comments and entry is made in Passport.
- Used household goods and personal effects are duty-free for foreign nationals and Indians transferring residence to India provided:
- The goods have been owned and used for a minimum of one year prior to importation.
- Indian Citizens have resided outside the country for two years and intend on staying in India for a year.
- Foreign nationals produce a visa valid for one year and get FRRO done.
- All shipments 100% inspected.
- Sea shipments must be shipped within 30 days of SHIPPERS arrival and air shipments within 15 days of shippers an arrival.
Dutiable / Restricted Items
- Large quantities of cosmetics, toiletries, food, etc.
- Tobacco and alcohol products (alcoholic products attract duties over 200%).
- Electronic equipment and appliances (only one of each is allowed) . One Lap top and PC is allowed.
- New items and consumables.
- Professional equipment may be imported duty-free with evidence/certificates proving qualifications of profession to Customs.
- Manufacturers cartons should not be used for shipping; it is recommended that goods be re-packed and tags and brochures (for new items) not be put in the cartons.
- Gold or silver in any form other than ornaments.
- Weapons, firearms and ammunition (unless licensed in advance)
- Live plants
- Pornographic material
- Politically sensitive literature
Duty and Tax Rate
- All used Household Goods (more than 1 year old) are duty-free.
- All new articles, whether furniture, crockery, etc., are charged a duty of at least 40.8%.
- The following items are dutiable at 15% (new or used).
- TV -Air Conditioner
- VCR -Refrigerator
- Washing Machine -Deep Freezer
- LPG cooking Range -Microwave Oven
- Dishwasher -Video Camera
- Music System -Word Processor
- FAX Machine
If the total value of the above items exceeds RS 500,000,(approximately $12000) or items that exceed the one- piece limit will attract a duty of approximately 40.8%.
For more information, please visit https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/IN-India-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-summary.htm